Re: Accessible scanner drivers

Gene

As I think about it, it was something like fifteen years ago that I installed Epson software.

Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2020 5:26 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Accessible scanner drivers

It isn't a question of the driver being inaccessible.  it’s a question of the installation program being inaccessible.  Do you know how to work with object navigation and screen review?  Do you also have another screen-reader available, it can be as a demo.  I don't have any idea if you could have used the installation software.  About ten years ago, I installed Epson software.  I may have had to use something like object navigation and/or another screen-reader, I don't remember now.  But we need more information about what you have and if you know how to use these ways of navigation.

It also sounds as though you have sighted help now.  if you install the driver or the full software, any compatible OCR program that can cause the scanner to run and have the information transferred to it will be able to be used.  You aren't working with the driver.  You are working with the OCR program and that program is communicating with the driver.

Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2020 4:46 PM

To clarify my original question, my old scanner is Epson, and it's driver was completely inaccessible, so I was unable to install it, and back then I didn't have anyone sighted to help me - so no matter what OCR program you're using, without a driver it's not going to work. So this time I would like to check that the driver is accessible first and foremost.

On 5/21/2020 9:21 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 10:59 AM, Gene wrote:
It used to be that at least some scanners came with accessible OCR programs.  I don't know enough about this to generalize, but it is my impression that not as many do now.
Gene, since you asked for comment, this is precisely the opposite of my experience, still ongoing.  I don't know of a single home or office grade flatbed scanner or multi-function that doesn't include OCR as part of its "scan to PDF" function.  They've all been doing this for years now.

I have a personal preference for Canon multi-function machines, which definitely include OCR functionality, but mostly because they still sell a number of models with separate ink tanks, which are less expensive in the long run, and infinitely less expensive if you buy automatic reset chip (ARC) tanks that you can refill.

A dear friend of mine who's my mother's age, and has been totally blind since birth, has been using a now-out-of-production Canon multi-function that I recommended to her for somewhere around 5 years or so now.  She does have scanning software other than that which comes with the multi-function, though, and I'm not sure which software she's using with it.

I have to admit that I am at least a bit confused by the original question, as I have not directly interfaced with a scanner driver, whether with a sighted or blind client, in years.  The application software that comes with or that you can use with the device is the user interface.