From: Shaun Everiss [mailto:@smeveriss]
Sent: Wednesday, March 2, 2016 10:51 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Important: list migration plan #AdminNotice #ModNotice

That sounds like a good plan.
I actually after saying I wouldn't decided to just shove over early, I am on
both lists, so I can both continue discussions on this new location and see
the sunset messages of this one.
One thing though, I'd actually like list start and maybe sunset messages or
the sunset messages archived if not in list archive but in somewhere.
There was supposed to be an nvda project history and I actually think now is
the time to make one.
I don't mean versions but someone discussed a bit ago about modifying the
code to get rid of historic things.
That person said that code contained all the advancements from way back.
I did say something should be done and I say it again.
I don't mean nvda as a screenreader, I mean nvda as a project.
I would like a history archive to be updated with various events.
1. when nvaccess starts and how.
2. when did nvda start and what the first version did?
3. all major events that made the reader what it was today and maybe the
minor events or sub events.
How all the lists started and ended and why messages etc.
All the grants recieved and all that sort of thing and anything else you or
anyone else can come up with.
Obviously this would be an online wiki or some brief that would be
continuously updated but I do actually want to see that and think its
important we don't loose our history.
I'd actually like to know where I came from and why I came there.
my first version was version 425 and I was just out of university, but for
myself I just got it because it was free never bothered much on documenting.
I know its a lot of work and may need a few people to do it but could that
be done? I will help where I can but its just an idea from me.

On 2/03/2016 11:53 p.m., Joseph Lee wrote:
*** For Groups.IO members: the below message was also sent to
Freelists version. ***

Hello everyone,

This is your acting head admin speaking.

Some of you may have noticed hashtags as part of the subject line. On
Groups.IO, you can add hashtags to subject lines to make archive
searching easier (if the head admin approves, I'll let members create
hashtags).

Now to the subject at hand: This is to inform you of our list
migration plan for the next few weeks as we retire Freelists list.
This is designed to give you time to switch over to the new list
provider and to adjust to the new environment (including the user
interface).

Migration plan:

* List became online: March 3, 2016.

* Stage 0: Contacting members set on vacation at Freelists: March
1st through 15th. I've received a handful of replies from these
members and plan to switch them over to our new list provider if
permission is granted.

* Stage 1: No more new subscribers on Freelists: Starting today
(after Groups.IO list becomes operational), no new subscribers will be
allowed on the Freelists version of this list. Also, NVDA community
wiki will be updated to point to Groups.IO page, and an invite will be
sent to Freelists list members to join the Groups.IO list. If you'd
like to remove yourself from the Freelists list before the list
closure happens, please do so AFTER official notice is given today.

* Stage 2: Membership migration: Starting from March 7th, members
will be asked to migrate to the new list provider (you can join now if
you wish). This is also the day when members who request "instant
switchover service" will be added to the new list (that is, if you
cannot subscribe via email for whatever reason, send an email to
nvda+owner@groups.io <mailto:nvda+owner@groups.io> and the admins
will add you directly; this is a limited time offer (will last for two
weeks)).

* Stage 3: Archive freeze: members will be allowed to post
messages
until March 31, 2016. From that point on, only four more messages will
be sent from admins (not to be archived): last membership migration
reminder, archive freeze declaration, list status report, farewell
address and list closure notice. The archive freeze is necessary in
order to transfer archives of Freelists version to Groups.IO, hoping
to be complete before first session of NVDACon 2016 begins (April 22nd,
21st for some).

* Stage 4: List closure: Immediately upon the end of the last
session of NVDACon 2016 (May 1, 2016 for some), the Freelists list
will become history. Members remaining until then will be removed from
Freelists list.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Cheers,

Joseph