Re: Ghost Windows When Copying and Pasting or cutting and pasting in Windows Explorer In Windows 10

Ron Canazzi

Hi Luke,

Well I have had it happen for years.  And no, no, no, did you all hear me, I said no!!!.  These windows never go away until I alt + tab away and back--regardless of how long the file has been copied. For experimental purposes, I did a small file transfer--about 5 KB in size and left the ghost window there over night. When I came back in the morning, the window was still there.

Now maybe it's something I am doing with respect to the copy and paste issue. Since almost no one else is experiencing this and I have been experiencing this on several systems over a decade or so, here is what I do to create the issue.

1.  Highlight a file in Windows Explorer.
2.  Press the hotkeys control + X or control + C to cut or copy to clipboard.
3.  Move to a new locoation on the system or on an external drive.
4.  use the hotkey control + V to paste the file.
5. No longer how long I wait, the ghost window stays there until I alt + tab away from the ghost window and then back. The window is then gone until the next time I copy or cut a file.

On 5/23/2020 2:52 AM, Luke Davis wrote:
How exactly do you know the window is still there?

I have never experienced one of these windows sticking, and I have been moving files small and large for years.

The window shows up when you initiate the paste, and stays only long enough to finish moving the file.
I have even had a few such status windows open at a time during multiple paste operations, and still never had them get stuck.

Luke

On Sat, 23 May 2020, Ron Canazzi wrote:

As mentioned in the previous post, this has gone way back before Windows 10--maybe back to XP.
--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"