Re: Ghost Windows When Copying and Pasting or cutting and pasting in Windows Explorer In Windows 10

Felix G.

Hi Ron,
if you type those lines exactly as shown, chances of destroying
anything are minimal. In case you do somehow screw up in Python
Console, usually you can remedy the situation by simply restarting
NVDA. As a general rule, however, you had better know what you're
doing when you work in Python Console as you're manipulating NVDA at
its deepest levels.
I agree that it's a minor distraction. What I don't agree with in
principle, however, is that as screen reader users we should just
accept anomalies. Sighted users, for the most part, wouldn't. Software
is never perfect, and only a fool could believe it can ever be
bug-free, but still bugs are to be fixed before they become permanent
fixtures to be accepted as part of the lay of the land. This one is
definitely on the verge as far as I'm concerned.
Best,
Felix

Am So., 24. Mai 2020 um 16:17 Uhr schrieb Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@...>:

Hi Felix,

Thanks for confirming this issue. It's not the greatest distraction in
the world, but it's been around for so long that I was wondering if
everyone just got used to it or if it was just an issue of something I
was doing.
As far as the python import issue, that sounds like something you could
really screw up if you weren't careful. I am not a programmer and I am
wondering if I tried something like this I could destroy something.

On 5/24/2020 6:42 AM, Felix G. wrote:
Hi!
That's exactly what it is. NVDA's focus tracking is slightly broken,
as I reported in 2018:
The window is not actually still there, it's just that the active
window switches, and NVDA expects information about this new context
to be available within 500 ms which, on busy or slow machines, is not
always possible.
To investigate whether this bug is actually responsible, execute the
following statements in the Python console:
import watchdog
watchdog.MIN_CORE_ALIVE_TIMEOUT = watchdog.NORMAL_CORE_ALIVE_TIMEOUT
Then try the copy or move operation again and see if the ghost has
been exorcised.
Best,
Felix

Am So., 24. Mai 2020 um 10:18 Uhr schrieb Rob Hudson
<rob_hudson3182@...>:
I've noticed this ghost window also. I just hit tab and it usually goes away. It's usually a focus problem with the screen reader. Another time I've noticed ghost windows is if you are in the settings app invoked with win+i. If you exit it, sometimes, by invoking the say title, you hear something like, ShellExperieNceHost.