Question about NVDA reading documents or pages containing text in multiple languages

Laurie Mehta

Hello,
I have stumbled upon a strange thing and hope someone has some helpful advice for this problem.
When I receive a document that is 99% in English with a small portion in another language NVDA reads that entire document (Word or pdf) as if it is entirely in that other language (not English.) What I mean is that NVDA is pronouncing the words as if in that other language and even going over a word character by character, NVDA spells in that other language's alphabet.
This has happened before and for short documents copying into notepad yields an entirely readable text. A notepad file is less practical for a long document, though, and I think that NVDA ought to be able to read a document in a language even if it has a line or two in a second language.

For example, I recently downloaded a document that is in English with only a line or so in Italian from a Vatican website. Saved in either Word or as pdf, the whole document reads as if NVDA is trying to read it in Italian-- even using the Italian alphabet when I move character by character. If I copy and paste the document into notepad, it reads in English with no problem.

I think that I must have some setting set in NVDA which is causing this issue but I don't know where to look for setting things right.
It seems that NVDA is recognizing some trigger to adjust to a particular language for reading, but I don't know how or where to find that trigger to possibly remove it.
Obviously I could just make a very long txt file for the document to read it, but if I can retain the headings and other formatting of the almost 200 page original I would prefer that.

Do any of you have some helpful advice for this issue?
Thanks!

Laurie M.