Re: Question about NVDA reading documents or pages containing text in multiple languages

hi shaun.
do you mean that automatic language switching is not good for people
who use only espeak?
but, its good for people who use two synthesizers one espeak and one
for example ivona, microsoft voices etc for reading documents in
different languages?

On 5/26/20, Shaun Everiss <@smeveriss> wrote:
Well I just turn off auto language switching.

Its really no good doing other language speech unless you don't use
espeak in anything other than english.

I am sorry but while I like the clear and robotic fast nature of espeak
I don't find other languages clear at all.

On 26/05/2020 10:21 am, Laurie Mehta via groups.io wrote:
Hello,
I have stumbled upon a strange thing and hope someone has some helpful
advice for this problem.
When I receive a document that is 99% in English with a small portion in
another language NVDA reads that entire document (Word or pdf) as if it is
entirely in that other language (not English.) What I mean is that NVDA is
pronouncing the words as if in that other language and even going over a
word character by character, NVDA spells in that other language's
alphabet.
This has happened before and for short documents copying into notepad
yields an entirely readable text. A notepad file is less practical for a
long document, though, and I think that NVDA ought to be able to read a
document in a language even if it has a line or two in a second language.

For example, I recently downloaded a document that is in English with only
a line or so in Italian from a Vatican website. Saved in either Word or as
pdf, the whole document reads as if NVDA is trying to read it in Italian--
even using the Italian alphabet when I move character by character. If I
copy and paste the document into notepad, it reads in English with no
problem.

I think that I must have some setting set in NVDA which is causing this
issue but I don't know where to look for setting things right.
It seems that NVDA is recognizing some trigger to adjust to a particular
language for reading, but I don't know how or where to find that trigger
to possibly remove it.
Obviously I could just make a very long txt file for the document to read
it, but if I can retain the headings and other formatting of the almost
200 page original I would prefer that.

Do any of you have some helpful advice for this issue?
Thanks!

Laurie M.

--
By God,