Re: ccleaner insites? accessible? discussion maybe?

Gene

I don't use the product but I think that one of the most important things is that notification of which additional software will be installed and the refusal option be accessible.  A lot of the time, installers don't show such information in an accessible way and you don't know what is being offered and you can't refuse it.  I suspect CCleaner has this problem and I think it is the most important problem.  The user shouldn't have software installed he/she can't refuse and isn't aware will be installed.  Not being able to use a program is very serious, having something installed that may be difficult to remove and interferes with your use of the computer aside from that program is worse.

Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2020 4:08 PM
Subject: [nvda] ccleaner insites? accessible? discussion maybe?

Hi all.

A while ago several months in fact as a user of ccleaner I recieved via
their news letter a servey to tell piriform about their product and how
good it was.

Of course I naturally opend up a can on how bad it was, etc and all that.

Today I got a message saying there is a panel going up, and asked me to
join in one of the questions there was a question about screen readers.

I don't know what this means, but this could be a step in the right
direction.

So my first thing to do is work on their accessibility issues.

The first one is the control panel with all the checkboxes.

My second are the settings in particular the button that switches on and
off smartclean, I had to use narator to check that button else nvda
would jump past it.

Third is healthcheck itself, I am going to ask them to either make it
accessible or have it turned off by default for screenreader users
because we don't really need it anyway.

Then there are add banners and messages which themselves are not
accessible as they currently are.

Finally, there is the startup of smart clean and other things on
installd  versions which we don't use or need and which can be a bother
to turn off.

Then finally last but not least, its the bundled software that is
installed, I know they need advertising for their free versions, and if
they really want sponsored listings and such they can open a page on
their site with all the extras, sponsered software, etc if they must but
not bundle it in.

Avast aint that good, its not accessible and all the extras do is screw
up our systems.

I'd also like to add portable mode to installers.

This is most of what I'd want.

The most important are the controlpanel, buttons in settings and the
health check for the first bash.

Hell if they just got the control panel right and maybe the buttons in
settings it should be a blooming good start.

The panel indicated direct feadback live was another possibility so I
would really like this.

If others get this mail I'd encourage joining the panel.

It seems that piriform or ccleaner or avast or whatever they are called
are trying to do the right thing here.

Its an awesome step in the right direction.

Now on top of the windows update being so good, keeping 99.9% of all my
settings in tact and all, I am a really happy user.