Re: NVDA on a Lenovo Miix 630 - no modifier key at all

Gene

First, does the caps lock key actually perform its function when it isn't set as an NVDA key?  If you press it once and type, are letters all capitalized?  So far, we haven't established if the keys do what they are supposed to do or if they do nothing.  If they do nothing, then that sounds like some sort of defect in the computer.  I doubt the BIOS would have any such setting such as, disable caps lock and insert keys.  Perhaps exchanging the computer for another or perhaps another different brand and/or model would be the thing to do.  It would be very interesting to know, however, if the caps lock key does what it is supposed to do when you don't have it set as an NVDA key.  I hadn't thought about the question of whether the keys work at all when I wrote my last message. 

Another option might be to use a USB external numpad with the computer.  If you want to keep that specific machine and not go through the inconvenience of returning it for another one, that may solve the problem.  I use the caps lock for certain NVDA functions and I wouldn't be satisfied with using an external numpad.  If you would be, you may want to do that.  But it would be important to get recommendations from list members because some external Numpads don't work with NVDA.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2020 6:41 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA on a Lenovo Miix 630 - no modifier key at all

Sounds like you need to get into the bios then. Under settings/advanced there are options to handle the keyboard. Of course, that means sighted help.

----- Original Message -----
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 03:57:30 -0700
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA on a Lenovo Miix 630 - no modifier key at all

> Hello,
>
> Thanks for your suggestions!
> Unfortunately, FN + Escape does not work on this machine.
> And I can neither accomplish NVDA commands by pressing FN + NVDA.
>
> I installed a application  called SharpKeys which is designed to re-map keys to other ones. I tried to re-map Caps Lock to be NumPad 0, but it did not help either.
>
> I guess it would be possible to re-map caps lock to some key that would be recognized while pressing multiple keys together with it, but then I would have to change every NVDA command accordingly and that would be a huge amount of work.
>
>
>
>
>

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.