Re: NVDA on a Lenovo Miix 630 - no modifier key at all

Tyler Spivey

It sounds like the keyboard on that machine just doesn't like caps lock
pressed with another key. That's rather unfortunate if it's a hardware
problem, and not some software doing it.
Do you have another keyboard you can plug in and test? That might not
rule out software completely, though.

Here are some things you can do to get a modifier:

1. Find your insert key. It might be fn+m for numpad insert, or some
other key, and use that.
2. If you don't have one or that's inconvenient, then you can use
SharpKeys to remap something to insert.
Right alt might work, if you have one. You'll want to find a key that's
easy to hit, and you can't use it for its normal function after you
remap it.
3. Write an addon to remap some other key as your NVDA modifier. This is
similar to the SharpKeys solution, except you could get the original
functionality of that key by hitting it twice.

You can also use the Input gestures dialog to remap NVDA functions to
other key combinations which don't need the NVDA modifier.

On 5/28/2020 7:12 AM, Isak Sand wrote:
All,

Thanks so much for your input!
First of all, this is not an NVDA-specific issue. Caps Lock does not
work with Narrator either.

When I configure NVDA so that Caps Lock is not used as an NVDA key, Caps
Lock works just as it is supposed to do: when Caps Lock is pressed once,
NVDA tells that caps Lock is on and all typed letters are capitalized.

I have not yet tested to have another keyboard connected to the machine
itself; I just forced it into Keyboard Help using the Remote Access
addon. I set up a connection between my older Lenovo and that new Lenovo
Miix and pressed Insert+1, just to be able to explore the keyboard
properly.