Re: NVDA on a Lenovo Miix 630 - no modifier key at all

Luke Davis

Sticky keys might work for you (hit shift five times to get started).
Not ideal, but then you could hit insert or capslock (assuming they work with sticky keys), then the NVDA key in question.

You should look at the CMOS for keyboard options, as someone suggested, but it sounds like that laptop has very limited multi-press keyboard support.
Those are not "normal" modifier keys (like alt, shift, and control are), and it seems as if the keyboard is not capable of providing scancodes for modifiers that it doesn't know are modifiers.
That suggests more "intelligence" on the part of the keyboard controller than is usually there in a simple keyboard.
You may want to contact the manufacturer, and make an ADA based complaint that they are producing an inaccessible laptop. Unlikely you'll get anywhere, but this may be solvable in firmware.

Luke

On Thu, 28 May 2020, Isak Sand wrote:

Hello all,
I just bought a Lenovo Miix 630 laptop: a little, neat thing to travel with.
My problem is that the NVDA modifier keys do not work. The computer seems to have both Caps Lock and Insert available, because when I finally was able to
access the keyboard help using the Miix computer remotely from another computer, it says "NVDA" when I press Caps Lock or Insert, and also Caps Lock comes
on when I press it twice, so it seems that everything should work. But still, if I press, say Caps Lock + B, it acts like I would have pressed only the
letter B.
This is not only an NVDA issue; exactly the same thing happens with Narrator. I cannot use any narrator commands that involve the Caps Lock key.
Another pain is that I haven't been able to reverse the function keys, so I have to press. for example, Alt+FN+F4 to get out from an application.
I do not know whether these two problems are somehow related.
Especially the fact that I don't have a NVDA modifier key makes the thing almost unusable.
Has anyone seen something like this and maybe been able to solve the problem? _._,_._,_