Inconsistency between reading paragraph numbers and reading attributes

Marquette, Ed

I have found that, when enabling one of the features in document formatting (control+ NVDA + d), I lose the reading of paragraph numbers in MS Word 2016 under Windows 10 and NVDA 19.3.
To clarify, the numbers are added automatically by the selected MS Word styles. I thought it was enunciation of indentations, but the same occurred when just having attributes such as "bold" or "italics" enunciated.
If indents, attributes, and styles are turned off, NVDA reads the paragraph numbers just fine.
I have not been able to isolate the behavior for certain, but I believe each of the above-three settings will nullify number reading.
Suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.