NVDA becoming unresponsive in Microsoft Teams

Luke Robinett

The conferencing/chat app Microsoft Teams is generally fairly accessible, but I’m experiencing a recurring issue. After a certain amount of time with the app loaded, eventually NVDA will no longer narrate the contents of the Teams GUI when using the tab key and Teams shortcut keys. When this happens, the only way to navigate the app is with object navigation. If I close and relaunch Teams it starts working again.

This happens frequently, but I can’t quite pin down a specific condition or amount of time that triggers it. Sometimes it happens out of the blue, other times it seems to happen after I’ve shared my desktop on a call.

I’ve tried restarting NVDA but it doesn’t fix it. I’ve also tried NVDA key + F5 to refresh the virtual buffer but still nothing. Can anyone think of any other troubleshooting steps I can try? Having to restart Teams is not ideal, as I’m often in the middle of a work conference and that’s akin to walking out of the room. Lol. Especially annoying/embarrassing when I’m trying to share content.