Re: NVDA and Audacity recordings

Tony Ballou

Hey Brian,

Apologies for violating any protocols.  Thanks for the heads up, and I'm glad I was able to help. I was looking at it from an NVDA user helping a fellow NVDA user's point of view. Since the message stated that she was using NVDA as her primary screen reader I thought that I could answer the question without violating any list protocols. Overall, I'll chalk it up as a win.

Tony

On 6/4/2020 12:15 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 12:03 PM, Tony Ballou wrote:
The only wrong question about NVDA is the one that you fail to ask here.
Tony, you are absolutely correct, but Hettie very wisely recognized that the question she is asking is not really about NVDA at all, but about Audacity.  I truly appreciate that she's leading by example with regard to this.

As the group description states:
NonVisual Desktop Access (NVDA) is screen reader software.  The central purpose of this group is discussing how to use NVDA, either configuring NVDA's settings or familiarizing oneself with its modes and commands.  Discussions about which programs are accessible using NVDA, NVDA add-ons, NVDA tutorials and documentation, and configuring synthesizers or Braille displays for use with NVDA are also permitted.

If the question were about NVDA or an NVDA add-on then it's on-topic.  If it's a question about how to use Audacity, where NVDA just so happens to be the screen reader you're using, it's not.  This is a distinction that needs to be made, by each and every member.

Again, I commend Hettie for being sensitive to this, and I commend you and others who've already done so for directing her to resources where those sorts of detailed questions can be asked and answered by those who've, "been there, done that, got the T-shirt."