Stop NVDA from automatically reading media on webpages

Justin Harford

Hello

I'm not sure the subject line accurately describes my issue, but it seems like there are webpages today that have content that automatically refreshes and changes. \unitone \left(  \r2\mathbb{\usepckage{times 9 it appears to be used for advertising or promoting a website's publications.   NVDA }}i\aght) automatically reads this content, and it often interrupts my reading of the articles themselves. Here is an example of a webpage: https://www.lovefood.com/recipes/60477/denis-cotters-black-bean-soup-with-chocolate-and-chillies

As I tried to read the recipe, the screenreader is also reading some sort of a flash object that is promoting other articles. Is there a way to stop this? It seems like either I should be able to stop the screenreader from announcing this, or I should be able to stop Google Chrome from displaying it. I have used ad blockers in the past, but it seems like many webpages now will not allow you to access their resources if you are using an ad blocker, so I wonder if there is some other tool that I could use.

Regards
Justin
Justin Harford (he/him/his)
Program Coordinator (NCDE)