Re: New to NVDA, questions about Outlook and Excel with NVDA

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Hi Jane,

I am a keen user of Excel with NVDA. I use it almost every day. I would be happy to answer any queries you have.

I wonder exactly what problem you are finding with column headings?

I note that you start your columns one column in and one row down from the top. That is no problem. Place your cursor on cell b2 and press NVDA+shift+c. This will fix b2 as the start of the column headings. If there is a break in row 2, the column title will stop being spoken with the last column before the break. Simply move the cursor on row 2 to the right until you get to the first filled cell after the break and press control+shift+c again. This will set the whole row to be the next set of column headings until the next empty cell in row 2. Repeat this until all the column cells are enabled as column headings. Each column will be echoed even if you are moving on the 1048576th row of the table.

The trick is to watch the gaps.

Let me know if this solves your difficulty and let me know if I can answer any more questions for you! I write complex formulas and macros with no problem using NVDA. It is a great product!

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jane Carona
Sent: Friday, June 5, 2020 8:07 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Address for NVDA support

I don’t use row titles, just column titles in row 1.  I usually have column A blank, just because that’s how I did it in WindowEyes.  So my data starts in B2, and goes from b2 to p17288.  Not sure what else I can do at this point.  I’d sure hate to have to go back to jaws, but if I can’t read the column titles of my big spreadsheets, I may have to.

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.