Re: Stop NVDA from automatically reading media on webpages

JM Casey

I sometimes use “reader view” in Firefox. It helps a lot. I *think8 chrome has something similar built in, though it might not be as easy to get to – if it doesn’t, there are definitely extensions you can try for it. If you find yourself on a page where there is annoying “dynamic” content getting in the way of your experience, activate reader mode, and it does its best to strip away a lot of this content. When you’re done, leave reader view and return to normal interactions. It usually works pretty well, though there may be instances where you lose a bit of valuable content too – that hasn’t actually happened to me often.

In Firefox, I just press f9 to activate this mode. It’s also on the toolbar.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Justin Harford
Sent: June 5, 2020 12:25 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Stop NVDA from automatically reading media on webpages

Hello

I'm not sure the subject line accurately describes my issue, but it seems like there are webpages today that have content that automatically refreshes and changes. \unitone \left(  \r2\mathbb{\usepckage{times 9 it appears to be used for advertising or promoting a website's publications.   NVDA }}i\aght) automatically reads this content, and it often interrupts my reading of the articles themselves. Here is an example of a webpage: https://www.lovefood.com/recipes/60477/denis-cotters-black-bean-soup-with-chocolate-and-chillies

As I tried to read the recipe, the screenreader is also reading some sort of a flash object that is promoting other articles. Is there a way to stop this? It seems like either I should be able to stop the screenreader from announcing this, or I should be able to stop Google Chrome from displaying it. I have used ad blockers in the past, but it seems like many webpages now will not allow you to access their resources if you are using an ad blocker, so I wonder if there is some other tool that I could use.

Regards
Justin

Justin Harford (he/him/his)

Program Coordinator (NCDE)