Re: New to NVDA, questions about Outlook and Excel with NVDA

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Jane,

Try calling microsoft again. You might get a different person. I've found them to be very helpful when I had trouble with something.

Rosemarie

On 6/6/2020 2:21 AM, Jane Carona wrote:

Good morning, (or whatever time it is where you are, I’m not really sure).  Anyway, Thanks so much for writing back.  I’ll check out that github thing, never heard of it.  And I’ll send you both spreadsheets so you can have a look.  The one that’s called my books data base a-l is the one where half the columns don’t read properly, with crossing by night showing as “title”, and suspense showing instead of the column title genre.  The spreadsheet called my books data base m-z works fine.  And now I’m having trouble with NVDA and Outlook, where I’m happily typing along and NVDA freezes and when I get it back I’ve lost the message I’ve been typing!  I’m back in Jaws now, never thought I’d have to do that!  Things were fine until yesterday when I had a guy from Microsoft accessibility reinstall my NVDA in hopes that that would fix the excel issue.  This has been a struggle, I can tell you. 

Anyway, attached are the two spreadsheets, see what you think.  And I do have whatsapp, so maybe if you want, we could talk that way.  We Excel people need to stick together!  My mobile number is 301-922-2994.  Those of us in the United States are so provincial, that I haven’t a clue about a country code, sorry.

Jane

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cearbhall O'Meadhra
Sent: Friday, June 5, 2020 6:59 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] New to NVDA, questions about Outlook and Excel with NVDA

Great to meet you, jane!

I appreciate the difficulty with wading through full data in the cell before getting the feedback on which column is in focus. I believe there is pressure on the programmers to bring in a change to allow the user to choose whether to have column title before the data or after.

Have a look through this discussion on Github:

https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/4629

NVDA is an ongoing project and bits are being developed all the time. It seems there was early pressure to give the data before the column title but that might have been because cell coordinates were also getting in the way.  It is a good idea to get familiar with Github so that you can raise issues with the developers and build a case within the community of developers and users.

I am puzzled by your problem on the second worksheet. Could you forward it to me privately  at my email below and let me see what is happening? I promise to destroy it after I understand what is happening and will, of course, keep it private.

There is no logical reason why the column title would drop to the second row without actually being assigned to that row before the first row was inserted. Guessing is futile! I would need to run through the actual table.

Alternatively, you could ring my mobile in Facetime or WhatsApp and I could walk through the issue with you with NVDA turned on and speaking.

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jane Carona
Sent: Friday, June 5, 2020 11:13 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] New to NVDA, questions about Outlook and Excel with NVDA

Hi Cearbhall,

Thanks so much for writing, it’s so great to talk to someone who uses Excel as much as I do!  Let me see if I can explain my problem:

I have two spreadsheets that are the same, except that one has books a-l and the other has books m-z, each is over ten thousand records.  One spreadsheet reads fine, with the titles in row 1 and the data starting in row 2.  In the other spreadsheet, moving across, some of the column titles read fine, but about half of them, the NVDA reads the data from row 2, the first line of data, as the title.  I followed what the user guide said and put my cursor in b1 and hit insert-shift-C, and that worked for most of my spreadsheets, but not for this one.  So I plunked the data from the bad spreadsheet onto the bottom of the good one, so now I have one spreadsheet with 29207 records in it, and the column titles read fine.

My problem now is that I wish I could get NVDA to read the column title before the data instead of after it.  Is there any way to do that?

Thanks so much for your help!

Happy Excelling!

Jane

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cearbhall O'Meadhra
Sent: Friday, June 5, 2020 4:24 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Excel and NVDA

Hi Jane,

I am a keen user of Excel with NVDA. I use it almost every day. I would be happy to answer any queries you have.

I wonder exactly what problem you are finding with column headings?

I note that you start your columns one column in and one row down from the top. That is no problem. Place your cursor on cell b2 and press NVDA+shift+c. This will fix b2 as the start of the column headings. If there is a break in row 2, the column title will stop being spoken with the last column before the break. Simply move the cursor on row 2 to the right until you get to the first filled cell after the break and press control+shift+c again. This will set the whole row to be the next set of column headings until the next empty cell in row 2. Repeat this until all the column cells are enabled as column headings. Each column will be echoed even if you are moving on the 1048576th row of the table.

The trick is to watch the gaps.

Let me know if this solves your difficulty and let me know if I can answer any more questions for you! I write complex formulas and macros with no problem using NVDA. It is a great product!

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jane Carona
Sent: Friday, June 5, 2020 8:07 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Address for NVDA support

I don’t use row titles, just column titles in row 1.  I usually have column A blank, just because that’s how I did it in WindowEyes.  So my data starts in B2, and goes from b2 to p17288.  Not sure what else I can do at this point.  I’d sure hate to have to go back to jaws, but if I can’t read the column titles of my big spreadsheets, I may have to.

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.