Re: end of the line for finereader

David Griffith

Congratulations

I had to ring Sight and Sound in the UK when I had problems installing version 13 and they were insistent that it was not supported in Windows 10 and that I had to purchase the upgrade to version 14.

I cannot remember now what would not work in version 13 but in my case it was unusable.

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 10 June 2020 23:17
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] end of the line for finereader

Hi David,

I’m using Kurzweil 13.4 on my Windows 10 system. I had to go to the Kurzweil site and download a patch to update version 13 to 13.4, also there was a set of instructions I had to follow when installing the patch. I called Kurzweil support to ensure I was doing everything correctly. I was told that 13.4 may not work after a major update but I’m currently up to the latest 1909, waiting for 2004, and Kurzweil is still working.

Marvin

Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 5:32 PM

Kurzweil version 14 is working here on Windows 10 but versions before that, such as 13 etc most definitely did not. I had to uprade from 13 to get functionality.

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 10 June 2020 22:15

Don’t know .kurzweil 1000 has not been updated  since 14. Since  the  developer of Kurzweil 1000 for the blind has retired. they are still keeping Kurzweil 3000 product around. Maybe download  a trial of  that and see how it works.   The other  thing I can think of is open book by VFO or omni page .but with omni page I have not tried and don’t know how  well it will work .

-----Original Message-----

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss

Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 2:19 AM

Subject: [nvda] end of the line for finereader

Hi all.

Well, looks like fine reader just had a name change since I have gotten it.

It seems to be called fine reader 15 pdf now.

Since support and abbyy don't seem to deem it important to fix the accessibility issues and since it all seems locked to business now I think it is time for me to cut my losses and upgrade.

The last version was released at the end of the year.

What ocr program should I use instead of abbyy fine reader.

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.