Re: Braille input focus 40 blue 5th gen and NVDA

Justin Harford

Greetings

Thank you for these helpful answers. I was mainly trying to figure out if you can type using the braille keyboard and grade 2 braille.

Have a great week.

Regards
Justin Harford (he/him/his)
Program Coordinator (NCDE)
Mobility International USA (MIUSA)
132 E Broadway Suite 343
Eugene OR 97401
541-343-1284 ext 1014 (voice)
jharford@... (email)

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 7:45 PM Roberto Perez <rober555x@...> wrote:

I have successfully used a Focus 40 blue 5 generation with NVDA. It is necessary to install a driver that can be found in the following FS page: https://support.freedomscientific.com/Downloads/Focus/FocusBlueBrailleDisplayDriver.

It is possible to add commands to toggle the modifier keys using the input gestures dialog but I don’t think it is possible to emulate the function keys, so you may have to depend on an external keyboard up to some extent. There is an addon that extends NVDA braille support considerably called braille extender  which adds support for the functions keys but I don’t think it has been updated to support the latest versions of NVDA.