Re: Word "Clickable" - Number of repetitions and what causes it?

jeremy <icu8it2@...>

I think the different Google pages are really strange with a screenreader, so NVDA repeating clickable as it does has never really been all that surprising for me. I can't see well enough though to play with the mouse to actually tell if there were multiple items there to click, so your observation kind of explains things. I've often wondered on other pages, if it was announcing clickable at the beginning and end of the item, reason it would say it more than once, but I end up getting annoyed by it so end up turning off that announcement.

On 8/19/2016 2:36 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

The following is a question that only the NVDA developers who handle this can answer, but this is as good a place as any to make the inquiry.

Even as a sighted user I find it confusing when I land on something that gets announced as "Clickable, clickable, clickable" when it either is clickable, but all one would have to do is click once, or when it's not clickable at all.  I am also wondering why the phrase "clickable link" gets used for some links while other links don't get the "clickable" designation, and I'm not talking about something that's stippled out.  There seems to be little rhyme or reason to how/when the designation "clickable" gets used and how many times.

As to the multi-clickable announcement, I'll give an example for an object that is not clickable at all for a sighted user.  When I go to the Gmail Settings, General Tab, I eventually can tab myself to the first part of the settings, which is Language.  I will sometimes (and I just now could not replicate even landing there) land on what looks like the label for this group of settings.  It will generally announce "clickable" three times, but there's nothing there that a sighted mouse user can click, and there's no hint as to what might be clickable there.

There are too many buttons and links to mention as I navigate through this page some of which say "clickable" when you land on them and others that do not.  There's got to be a rhyme and reason here, but I cannot easily fathom what it is.  I also think that saying "clickable link" is redundant and, if you have that rare instance where a given link is blocked, it would make more sense to announce that state of oddity than to ever announce that a link that can be clicked is "clickable."