NVDA, Braille display, and Lenovo laptop

JM Casey

Hey folks.

I’m running a Lenovo Thinkpad laptop with Windows 10 2004, and NVDA is updated to latest stable channel build. I’ve got a Focus Braille display  attached to the computer via USB (no bluetooth adaptor currently in the computer).

The laptop is a new acquisition for me and being semi-mobile with a  braille display and a tool to read and write on is one of the chief reasons I got the thing. I do a fair amount of reading of documents, books, easearch materials and so on. I usually convert everything to plain text and read in notepad, which has worked fine on my desktop. However, the laptop does not count reading on a braille display as “activity”, it seems, and goes to sleep after several minutes. I’ve adjusted the time factor, but I’m wondering if there is any way I can convince the computer that reading on the display counts as “activity”, since I do appreciate these battery saving features and so on, but it’s annoying when after ten or fifteen m inutes of reading the machine just needs to be reawoken, re-signed in, etc. I know this wouldn’t happen if I had the computer perform some simple task like playing music or something, but I feel like I shouldn’t *have* to do this or tap on the keyboard every so often just to let it now to stay awake. Any ideas?

Again, I’m aware that I could just increase the time alotment or even tell it never to go to sleep, but I’m wondering if there’s a way I can take advantage of these power-saving features somewhat and still get what I want?