Re: Problem with NVDA and single key navigation in Chrome

georgijivankin@...

Hi Brian,

Your suspicions are correct. It was definitely the Webroot SecureAnywhere software interfering with the installation of NBDA. Since I can’t disable the software as it is being managed remotely by my organization, I tried a brute force workaround just to test your hypothesis – fetched the installed copy from my personal computer and transferred both the main NVDA and the profile directory that resides in %appdata%\roaming to the work computer and low and behold, it worked perfectly. I could successfully start NVDA and use Chrome as normal.

Then I attempted to update it to the latest beta to see if a normal installation would actually work, but after the restart it stopped working again, so I suspect the antivirus blocks some files of being properly copied or accessed by NVDA. I will ask my IT department to allow me to disable the antivirus locally in order to rectify the situation in a more permanent way.

Thank you for the troubleshooting suggestions and for the safe mode with sound script – definitely useful to have it for exactly this type of situations.

Best,

Georgi.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, June 20, 2020 2:00 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Problem with NVDA and single key navigation in Chrome

I strongly suspect that this is some sort of weird interaction between something that came preinstalled on your machine, most likely security related, and Chrome and NVDA.

There are several ways you could proceed.

1. Turning off your security software, temporarily, and if that requires rebooting then reboot, and see if the issue goes away.

2.  Make sure you have already set up sound in safe mode with networking (See: Getting Sound in Safe Mode Under Windows 10) then see if the behavior occurs if you boot into Safe Mode.  This avoids loading an awful lot of startup processes to begin with.

3. If either of the above fixes the issue, you will then need to follow the proper procedure to go through the process of elimination to find out what exactly is the root cause of the problem.  What that is varies, so until more data is available it's really not worth going into the details.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.