Re: NVDA, Braille display, and Lenovo laptop

hi.
my comment is not related to your issue.
but someone recommended me a lenovo thinkpad laptop!
whats your idea?
may i know which model do you use exactly?
if yours is lenovo thinkpad l 540,
please email me off list.
thanks and God bless you!

On 6/20/20, JM Casey <jmcasey@teksavvy.com> wrote:
Hey folks.

I'm running a Lenovo Thinkpad laptop with Windows 10 2004, and NVDA is
updated to latest stable channel build. I've got a Focus Braille display
attached to the computer via USB (no bluetooth adaptor currently in the
computer).

The laptop is a new acquisition for me and being semi-mobile with a
braille
display and a tool to read and write on is one of the chief reasons I got
the thing. I do a fair amount of reading of documents, books, easearch
materials and so on. I usually convert everything to plain text and read in
notepad, which has worked fine on my desktop. However, the laptop does not
count reading on a braille display as "activity", it seems, and goes to
sleep after several minutes. I've adjusted the time factor, but I'm
wondering if there is any way I can convince the computer that reading on
the display counts as "activity", since I do appreciate these battery
saving
features and so on, but it's annoying when after ten or fifteen m inutes of
reading the machine just needs to be reawoken, re-signed in, etc. I know
this wouldn't happen if I had the computer perform some simple task like
playing music or something, but I feel like I shouldn't *have* to do this
or
tap on the keyboard every so often just to let it now to stay awake. Any
ideas?

Again, I'm aware that I could just increase the time alotment or even tell
it never to go to sleep, but I'm wondering if there's a way I can take
advantage of these power-saving features somewhat and still get what I
want?

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens