From: Rui Fontes
Sent: 24 June 2020 01:28
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] speaking commands

Hello!

Have you seen the implementation made by paulber in his add-on NVDAExtensionGlobalPlugin?

I have already gave suggestions in this issue.

Reading the issue, most people agree that arrow keys should be treated differently from other command keys...

And one of my suggestions have benn backed up by two or three other participants in the issue...

Regards,

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

Às 00:17 de 24/06/2020, Quentin Christensen escreveu:

Rui,

There has been discussion on this: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/6553

Much of the issue is that everyone has different ideas on the best way forward for this.  If anyone has new ideas, then do, please comment on that issue.

Quentin.

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 9:12 PM Rui Fontes <rui.fontes@...> wrote:

Quentin, have you already tried to work with NVDA in those conditions?

NVDA needs, urgently, a way to filter some keypresses from being announced...

See issues #5484, #5608 and many more..

Rui Fontes

Às 04:34 de 23/06/2020, Quentin Christensen escreveu:

If you press NVDA+4, or toggle "Speak command keys" in NVDA's keyboard settings, it will speak keys such as ENTER or CONTROL+S.

NVDA doesn't automatically know that CONTROL+S is save, so it generally won't automatically announce that, however if the keystroke brings up something like a save dialog, then that would be announced (for instance the first time you press control+s in a new document in Word).

Not directly related to control+s, but there is a "clipspeak" add-on which will report the functions of some keys such as control+c (Copy) and control+v (paste) where they perform those functions: https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/clipspeak.en.html

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 12:17 PM Grant Metcalf <the.gems@...> wrote:

I am hoping that sometime soon the NVDA developers will have NVDA speak commands such as “control-save”. I am always in doubt if I have been able to save the file I am working on. Mostly I use the text editor Notepad and very occasionally Wordpad for “RTF” files. Granpa DOS would appreciate all efforts the developers would exert toward making the very basic commands speak!

Cordially yours.

Listening for HIS shout!

Grant Metcalf

--