Re: Crashes in Word and Outlook

Roberto Perez

Jamm, I can fully identify with the situation you are describing. I can only add that, at least for me, the problem seems to be worse if I am using a braille display, and most of the times I have to fully reboot the computer to get back to a stable situation.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Josh Miele
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 3:07 PM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Crashes in Word and Outlook

Folks:

I'm new to this list, but I've been using NVDA as my exclusive Windows screen reader for about 8 years.

I'm in a new work environment where I practically live in outlook, and
I'm finding that I experience frequent freezes when composing emails,
particularly when highlighting or deleting. The screen reader goes
silent and doesn't come back, even if I wait a very long time.

The only way to recover is to go to the desktop with Windows+M and
restart NVDA with ctrl+alt+N. NVDA almost always restarts after a 20-30
second delay with an error sound concurrent with the NVDA startup sound.

When I return to Outlook the email I was composing is *sometimes* still
there, but it is frequently gon -- disappeared from the world without a
trace in Drafts or Trash.

This can happen as frequently as every few minutes, or sometimes goes
for hours without happening. I'm unable to pin it to any particular
situation or constellation of other concurrent activities.

I experience a similar problem in MS Word, also while highlighting or
deleting. Again, the file is sometimes there when I restart NVDA, but it
is just as likely to be recovered from the last time I saved it...

Needless to say, this is extremely frustrating and is terrible for my
productivity and mental well being.

I am using Version 2020.1, but this problem was present and even worse
in prior versions. In the current version I'm usually able to restart
NVDA from the desktop with the keyboard shortcut. In prior versions the
only way to recover was to restart my computer.

I have searched the web and the archive of this list to see if others
have experienced this, but I'm coming up mostly empty. From the issues
list on Github, it looks like this has happened to other folks in much
older versions, but it's marked as closed.

Any insights or help with this will be most gratefully appreciated.

Best!

--JAMM