Re: speaking commands

Quentin Christensen

I'd reiterate again that the best place for these suggestions is the GitHub issue: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/6553 - conversation here is important for fleshing out these ideas, but issues like the one I linked to, are what changes to the code will be based on, so please do reiterate the ideas agreed upon here in that issue so they don't get lost.

Quentin.

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 5:04 AM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
JAWS has the same sort of abilities working in What it calls frames.  If you
issue a defined command in a frame, you can designate that all sorts of
actions follow and the order in which they occur.

I have never seen an explanation of why NVDA doesn't have such a system.
There may be technical reasons but NVDA will never meet many users' needs as
well as JAWS unless it has the ability for user definable functions of this
sort.

There are many times when more advanced users or those working with users
need to define such behaviors and can't.  While NVDA meets a lot of users'
needs now, this is a serious deficiency.

From: Jonathan COHN
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 10:02 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] speaking commands

That was a nice feature of WindowEyes, one could create side effects for
keys bound to a function, so that either prior to or after the primary
function ran, other events could occur including speaking or routing focus
to the best place. This was a menu driven type system, that required no
programming skills to implement.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Date: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 at 10:19 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

External email alert: Be wary of links & attachments.

And, it is not so difficult to implement my suggestion:

1 - Typable keys, including letters, numbers, accents, like accut, grabv,
tilde, circunflex, diaresis and so on, and enter;

2 - Arrow keys;

3 - Command keys, all other keys.

After that, close all tickets about this.

If after that, someone reopens or create new tickets, the solution can be
evaluated again...

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

Às 15:05 de 24/06/2020, David Griffith escreveu:

I agree absolutely – it never made any sense at all to me that people who
needed assistance with locating control keys would inevitably also have
similar problems locating and using the routine cursor keys.

It seemed a bizarre design assumption from the  first to compel noisy
feedback from every push of a cursor key if you wanted to  avail yourself of
reassurance with the use of a control key like alt or control etc.

David Griffith

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows 10