Re: nvda ocr

Rui Fontes

Yes, you can recognize documents in Amhariclanguage.

The instructions are:

# NAPS2TesseractOCR

* Authors: Rui Fontes <rui.fontes@...> and Ângelo Abrantes <ampa4374@...>

## Information
This add-on uses the Tesseract OCR engine, packaged by NAPS2, both open source and free, to perform optical character recognition to an image document, whether PDF, JPG, TIF or other, without having to open the document.
It also can uses a scanner as origin of the material to be recognized.

In the NVDA menu, Preferences, a section NAPS2TesseractOCR is added, where you can configure the language to be used for recognition.

## Supported languages
The languages supported in this version are:
Afrikaans
German
Amharic
Arabic
Bulgarian
Burnes
Canarim
Spanish (Spanish)
Catalan / Valencian
Czech
Simplified Chinese
Traditional Chinese
Korean
Croatian
Danish
Slovak
Slovenian
Finnish
French
Galician
Georgian
Greek
Hebrew
Hindi
Hungarian
Indonesian
English
Irish
Icelandic
Italian
Japanese
Latvian
Lithuanian
Macedonian
Dutch
Nepalese
Norwegian
Persian
Polish
Portuguese
Punjabi
Kyrgyz
Romanian / Moldovan
Russian
Serbian (Latin)
Swedish
Thai
Tamil
Turkish
Ukrainian
Urdu
Vietnamese

## Supported image types
This add-on supports the following file types:
PDF
jpg
tif
png
bmp
pnm
pbm
pgm
jp2
gif
jfif
jpeg
tiff
spix
webp

## Commands
The command to start the character recognition process is:
Shift + NVDA + r for documents on your PC
Control + Shift + NVDA + r to recognize documents through scanning.

Then just wait for the 1.pdf file to open.
If you want to preserve the recognized text, be sure to save the document under another name and in another location, as all files in the temporary folder are deleted at the end of the process!

## Known issues
* This version only works on Windows 10 64-bit systems.

* If a folder does not have, at the beginning of the full path, the reference to the drive letter, as, for example, in Windows 10 with the Documents, Downloads, etc. folders, the add-on cannot determine the full path of the file, and so you will not be able to perform optical character recognition.
This is a known Windows problem and, as far as I know, cannot be solved.
An alternative is to open the folder through the Start menu ... Just type the name of the folder until NVDA announces what we want ...

You can grab it at:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wrqdabkl9sqplfl/NAPS2TesseractOCR.nvda-addon?dl=1

Sorry, it is not yet perfect, but it works and it is free!
Please, do not discuss it with any other person by now...

Best regards,

Rui Fontes
NVDA portuguese team

Às 04:21 de 27/06/2020, Aschalew Byness escreveu:

yeah, I am using windows 10 64 bit. what do you mean when you says
'amharic is available as ocr language'? are you telling me that I can
ocr Amharic documents? how? because, when I go to nvda setting windows
10 ocr and choose language, I find only english language in the
cambobox.

On 6/25/20, Aschalew Byness <gakidan.ashagre235@...> wrote:
Hi lovely guys
I always try to have nvda recognize image or scanned documents with
insert+r. I don't get any result though. but, in jaws, when I press
insert + space, o, c, I hear a kind of bip sound to let me know that
the recognition is in process. it also lets me know when it finishes
recognizing the document. I don't get the same in nvda although I
press insert +r. it is dead silence. does this nvda OCR recognition
really work.