Re: Windows 10 Upgrade and Windows 10 App Essentials

Ron Canazzi

Hi Richard,

I downloaded the 1909 media creation tool and it wouldn't allow me to use it.  It recommended that I use the tool for 2004--the one that gives me the error about my PC settings being incompatible for 2004.

I think I will call the Microsoft Disability line later today.  Maybe one of those gurus can help.

On 7/6/2020 1:19 AM, Richard Wells wrote:

Try using the media creation tool to do it. http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

On 7/5/2020 8:32 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

I have my system set to automatically receive windows updates. I have no delays or any other qualifications for this.  However, I am still stuck on windows 1903. Worse than that, I had saved a tool to upgrade from 1903 to 1909 and used it on my older 32 bit system.  Unfortunately, when I try running it on my newer system, I get an error and it recommends I use the latest upgrade package for windows 2004 May 10 2020 release. This is the tool that tells me I can't upgrade yet.  So what do I do?

On 7/5/2020 1:15 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 12:49 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Actually, Windows 10 App Essentials now require November 2019 Update (Version 1909) or later, not 2004 yet.
-
Which brings us back to why it's so important to:

1. Identify the version and build of Windows 10 under which you're running everything you're running, including NVDA.

2. Keep your version of Windows 10 up to date.  At this point in time, that would mean Version 1909 at the oldest.

When you hear that the next Feature Update is about to be released, regardless of what that happens to be numbered, if your machine is not already on the version immediately previous to that one, then take the steps necessary to manually update, as by that point all machines should have been automatically updated to it, and if they have not been, that means manual intervention is needed.

This can be done either by going to the Microsoft Windows 10 Download Page and using the Update Assistant (Update this PC button) or, preferably in my opinion, Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file.

Right now anyone who's not already on 1909, and whose machine is giving the "not quite ready for Version 2004" message is in a bit of a bind, as the Media Creation Tool is now creating media for Version 2004, and if you don't already have the ISO file for 1909 you're not getting it (or getting it easily, anyway) from Microsoft.  If anyone happens to know if there is a page, at Microsoft (not elsewhere), that hosts the ISO files for those versions of Windows 10 still under support, but not the latest, please share, as I do not know of it.

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"