Re: ClipSpeak doesn't seem as reliable as

Hi,

Okay, a few things for everyone:

  • Is this related to NVDA language: actually, no. If it was, then it would be something NVDA translators would have been aware of. A key piece of information translators need is add-on gestures, and for this one, there is none for languages other than English. How we ended up with this is beyond the scope of this forum – all I can say is that ClipSpeak wasn’t registered with translations workflow, and it won’t be made translatable for some time (due to another work that’s being researched, which is again beyond the scope of this list).
  • Is NVDA supposed to announce “cut” all the time: no. If the currently focused control does allow you to cut or copy text using how NVDA does it (say, in browse mode), it is supposed to use whatever facility NVDA provides. If not, it is supposed to send the command to the program you are using.
  • Clipboard content matters: even if you do cut something, NVDA won’t announce things you have just cut. ClipSpeak supports text, parts of text 9such as words), and files and folders. Also, item must be selected (for example, text must be selected) before NVDA can say things.
  • Where you are located matters: even though you are working with a file, not all edit fields will tell ClipSpeak to announce clipboard messages. This is more so if the text field is read-only.

Based on this, I think one or more of the following might be happening:

  • No text selected
  • Jarte does not support operations necessary for ClipSpeak add-on to speak the appropriate clipboard message
  • Wrong command was sent to the application
  • NVDA didn’t recognize that the clipboard contains text

For resident geeks here: I must say ClipSpeak add-on source code is quite an interesting read. It isn’t up for me to critique the author of this add-on, but I think folks may wish to work on improving this add-on somehow.

Cheers,

Joseph