Anyway, I am glad you find use for it, but it's doubly clear to me now that it definitely could be improved.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 07/07/2020 10:41 am, Gene wrote:
It may have faults or defects but I've been using it for years and I find it useful and almost always reliable.  I'm very pleased you created it, though from what you say, it may have taken so much time that maybe it wasn't worth it from your standpoint of time and work.  But I have believed since the issue came up, that this feature should be in the NVDA code itself and I very much a[ppreciate your attempting to make NVDA do what System Access and JAWS both do and saving me work and aggrevation because I usually know when, even if I issue the command correctly, it fails and then I can make sure it is done correctly.
Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Damien Garwood
Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 2:24 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] ClipSpeak doesn't seem as reliable as
Hi Joseph,
Trust me, I wouldn't take it badly if you did.
I guess that's what happens when a beginner tries to code something
useful without knowing how the infrastructure around it works.
Having said that, nobody can say I didn't read the dev docs. I just
didn't understand most of them. But I was determined not to throw in the
towel at that point. If I'd known what an embarrassing piece of junk I
was going to spew forth...
Three years of hard study, a few months of coding, and three years of
reflection. Yup. I think we can safely say I definitely failed that test!
If it's any consolation, I don't even use Clipspeak myself anymore.
Cheers,
Damien.
On 06/07/2020 11:19 pm, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,

Okay, a few things for everyone:

  * Is this related to NVDA language: actually, no. If it was, then it
    would be something NVDA translators would have been aware of. A key
    piece of information translators need is add-on gestures, and for
    this one, there is none for languages other than English. How we
    ended up with this is beyond the scope of this forum – all I can say
    is that ClipSpeak wasn’t registered with translations workflow, and
    it won’t be made translatable for some time (due to another work
    that’s being researched, which is again beyond the scope of this list).
  * Is NVDA supposed to announce “cut” all the time: no. If the
    currently focused control does allow you to cut or copy text using
    how NVDA does it (say, in browse mode), it is supposed to use
    whatever facility NVDA provides. If not, it is supposed to send the
    command to the program you are using.
  * Clipboard content matters: even if you do cut something, NVDA won’t
    announce things you have just cut. ClipSpeak supports text, parts of
    text 9such as words), and files and folders. Also, item must be
    selected (for example, text must be selected) before NVDA can say
    things.
  * Where you are located matters: even though you are working with a
    file, not all edit fields will tell ClipSpeak to announce clipboard
    messages. This is more so if the text field is read-only.

Based on this, I think one or more of the following might be happening:

  * No text selected
  * Jarte does not support operations necessary for ClipSpeak add-on to
    speak the appropriate clipboard message
  * Wrong command was sent to the application
  * NVDA didn’t recognize that the clipboard contains text

For resident geeks here: I must say ClipSpeak add-on source code is quite an interesting read. It isn’t up for me to critique the author of this add-on, but I think folks may wish to work on improving this add-on somehow.

Cheers,

Joseph