Re: NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi Cearbhall

I am running the latest version of Windows 2004 stable and I have no problems with any of the browsers or nvda saying unknown etc even down on the task bar etc.

They say its a big job to upgrade and unless there is a killer feature you need to use the end of the day it is up to the user.

Did you also see the reply from Tyler just in case you missed it?

My guess is this is an instance of #9039. To avoid a lot of back and forth, let's assume it is; if it's not, no harm done.

1. Run the COM Registration Fixing Tool, follow its prompts, and reboot just for good measure. If it fixed it, then great, nothing to worry about and you can stop here.

However if that didn't fix it (which I doubt it would), please do the following, assuming you have an installed copy of NVDA 2019.3 or higher:
1. Press windows+r to open the run dialog.
2. Type nvda
3. Press control shift enter and answer yes to the prompt that appears to run as administrator.
4. When NVDA restarts, open the python console either with NVDA+CTRL+z or in the tools menu.
5. Paste this long line in and hit enter. If you're using teamviewer, I'm not sure how you get the clipboard across; maybe it does it automatically.

import comtypes,ctypes;p=comtypes.typeinfo.LoadTypeLibEx(r"c:\windows\syswow64\oleacc.dll");ctypes.windll.oleaut32.RegisterTypeLib(p,r"c:\windows\syswow64\oleacc.dll", None)

If it says traceback, then the line didn't work, and it may have been pasted incorrectly. In that case, come back here and we'll figure out why.

6. Restart NVDA. Things should work again. If they don't, try rebooting.

They might even be able to roll back windows to a date before it happened and it may do the job.

I did also a while ago see another which was similar but it was when you installed a program called maths some thing where it would let nvda reads maths stuff but can not find a reference to it in the user guide now. When it was used it was good but when it was uninstalled it caused those type of problems as well.

You had to re install it again to fix the problem it caused.

Gene nz

On 9/07/2020 11:33 pm, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:

Gene nz,

The problem exists on another computer where I am assisting someone to resolve their difficulty. My own PC is running fine. I have been in touch with the Microsoft Accessibility Help desk and it seems that there are some access issues with version 2004 of Windows 10. Would you advise me to install version 2004 or should I keep my current version which is:

Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.900)

All the best,

Cearbhall