Re: NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

Arlene

Hi, is it free for those who don’t have Jaws on their system? I have it. It was given to me as a gift. I have both it and NVDA.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: July 10, 2020 7:21 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

And right now it is free till end of August.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Scott Berry
Sent: Friday, July 10, 2020 8:38 AM

That's not true.  You might just want to give Jaws 2020 a try.  It's pretty damn good.

On 7/9/2020 3:52 PM, g melconian wrote:

Thanks but no thanks. None of my business apps work correctly with JAWS to begin with.everything needs to    be scripted and cost an  arm and  a leg where  as it will work out of  the box  with NVDA and Window Eyes like quickbooks, tax applications like tax act, and so on.I am not going to waste  my time with a company who has no clue how to  optimize their producs  to work without haveot scripting to the moon to get them to work.they should   just work out of the box with the screen reader without all this heavy programming and scripting knowledge. 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kenny Nead
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 2:44 PM

If you are wondering about Jaws, on the Freedom Scientific web site, you can get Jaws free till the end of August, good way to try the Jaws 2020 out.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of g melconian
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 4:36 PM

Thast good to know. I think more and more of the windows 10 pro features are all coming to  home versions in some sort or fashion.same like you I have one pro machine for my financial / consulting business. All the others in the house are home windows 10 pcs with NVDA an older version of Window Eyes and JAWS , on them. What can I do and   there is no compeling reason to upgrade to  the latest JAWS as they don’t offer much lately just bells and whistles and gimmicks that I cant se myself using.as I am on business applications an make use of the web JAWS is a pig as far as resources when it comes to the web over  my old Window Eyes or NVDA. 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kenny Nead
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 2:06 PM

Thank you!

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, July 9, 2020 3:07 PM

Kenny,

Unless there is something specific in Pro that you simply must have, I see no compelling reason to change edition from Home to Pro.  It's really a personal choice.  I'd still be on Home except for the fact that I have enough clients on Pro that when I need to troubleshoot something "Pro-specific" it's handy to have one machine that has Pro.  All the other Windows 10 machines in my household are Windows 10 Home.

Cearbhall,

No great surprise there, and I'm glad that a demonstration has been made of the "intelligence" of the Windows 10 installer.  There was a time where you could actually force update a machine that was displaying the "not quite ready" message in the Windows Update Pane.  This never made the slightest sense to me, as if Microsoft deems the hardware "not ready" it's not ready, and any one of the ways of upgrading to the next Feature Update should detect that, and give a, "Whoa, Nelly!!," type message saying that the update cannot yet be done.

Whatever method it was you used to try to force it clearly detected the "not ready" state and aborted, as it should.  That is, unless I'm misreading you and you're saying that you manually aborted a force update as soon as you had the opportunity after kicking it off.  In which case, ignore all that came before.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.