nvda not speaking program/icon on the desktop when pressing first letter

Fresh Start

Hi All, I am using NVDA 20.1 on a client’s windows ten pro laptop. When on the desktop or in a list of programs or files, NVDA doesn’t speak the name of a program or file when pressing it’s first letter.  However, the cursor does go to the location.  I know this by arrowing up and then down.  I tried maximizing but didn’t cause any change in behavior.  Any ideas to resolve the problem?  Thanks in advance.

Subscribe to the Fresh Start Daily Devotion by sending a message to the e-mail address shown below with subscribe in the subject field.

dan@...

Unsubscribe from the Fresh Start Daily Devotion by sending a message to the e-mail address shown below with unsubscribe in the subject field.

dan@...

“Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.”

(Proverbs 3:5,6 NIV)