One other thing to maybe consider, which certainly doesn't apply to everyone but is a pretty big deal to me is the amount of light that comes off my display if I have it full of nice bright windows. I find it much easier on my eyes to keep not only my background darker but to also keep my windows sized down a bit more, as to not generate as much brightness, especially if my eyes happen to be bothering me.

I find that it's a decent balance, keeping my computer easier on my own vision, yet it doesn't have a huge affect if someone like my wife needs to use it, for whatever reason. This is where having options like screen curtain, the ability to totally black or white out the display kinda fail, but in those situations where you don't have any need on using the display or you know that no one will be needing to read it, then they work well.
Take care.

On 8/21/2016 6:04 AM, Chris Mullins wrote:

I too have never understood why Jaws tutorials in particular promote the use of Windows+m to move focus to the Desktop as this keypress minimises all open apps before it moves focus.  Windows+d is easier to remember and moves focus without minimising everything.  In addition you can use windows+d to have a peek at the contents of the desktop, pressing it again takes you back to where you were.

Cheers

Chris

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brandon Keith Biggs
            Sent: 21 August 2016 10:55
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] dealing with Pins on the Windows 10 start

Hello,

I think I figured it out.

The top row is folders and under that is a grid of everything in those folders. The problem is that grid is really strangely shaped and if you press an arrow key you may jump to another folder. Nice thing is it will announce the new folder, but that is also what makes it so confusing.

*Note* windows + d also takes you to the desktop like windows + m does, you only need to use one hand though. I've never understood why they teach windows + m when windows + d is easier to do and remember.

Thanks,

On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 10:10 PM, Jeremy <icu8it2@...> wrote:

Haha, a fun one! First, and apologies to those who may disagree, but it seems to me that currently, the Start menu on 10 with NVDA is slightly less than pleasant to use. :)
I've changed mine up now, I got tired of how crappy it was working for me so I took all the stuff out of the pinned apps area so it no longer shows up, but this is what I was able to figure out.

When you first press the start button and it lands you in the search box, you can press tab, either once or twice and it should take you to a vertical list containing a fairly large number of apps and some of their associated folders. As you arrow up and down here, NVDA will first read the section you come to, so A, B, etc and then under those, read you apps that fall under those sections. As you probably already know, it's here that you can press the applications key and pin said apps to the start menu.

As for the area where Apps actually get pinned, it looks like shift tab is what you want, so doing it from the search box should land you there. It's here that you should be able to use the arrow keys to move up, down, left and right in the grid, but unfortunately, NVDA seems to read things here all weird. As something that looks similar to how IOS likes to create named directories based on the names of the stuff you put in them, as you're moving around here, you'll come to these named sections and can press enter to rename them. As you're moving around here, you'll land on these sections, lets say, Audio and Music just as an example and can sometimes press down or wright and it will start reading you the pinned apps under that section. If you happen to only have one or two things here though, It's sometimes hard to get it to land where you want on the icon or whatever.

I've wondered if it's possible to turn off the structuring of the apps you pin here and just have them in a huge grid, but if so, I've not figured it out.
I'm also not sure if this is something that NVDA just hasn't caught up with and if there are things in the pipe down the road that will make it more friendly, but so far, it is kind of a pain to use. haha

If you play with it though and figure out anything else, I'd certainly be interested.
Take care.

On 8/20/2016 10:17 AM, Brandon Keith Biggs wrote:

Hello,

The reason why one uses the start menu is so you don't need to open apps to do things like your calendar, whether, news and stocks. you just arrow over those items and you hear what they are.

Thanks,

On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 5:40 AM, Louis Maher <ljmaher@...> wrote:

Hello Brandon,

I find it easier to place application shortcuts on the desktop.  This is a two-step process.  Hit the windows key, type in the application name, hit the context menu, find file location and enter on it, hit the context menu and go to the send-to menu.  Hit the desktop option.  Hit windows m to bring you to the desktop, type the first letter of the application, and you will land on it.  Note that on the desktop, once you find a and select  application, you can hit f2 and change the shortcut’s name.

Regards

Louis Maher

Phone: 713-444-7838