Re: McAfee Antivirus does not work with NVDA

David Goldfield

To Gene's point I can tell you that Kaspersky Antivirus, while its accessibility is far from ideal, works much better with NVDA than it does with JAWS. With JAWS I need to use the touch cursor to review the screen, which is similar to NVDA's object navigation. With NVDA navigating with the tab key does at least provide some feedback although there are instances where using object navigation is needed.

On 7/16/2020 2:21 PM, Gene wrote:
It depends. Years ago, Avast wasn't accessible with screen-readers.  In order to allow information to reach JAWS from Avast, the developers explicitly told Avast to let JAWS see the information.  Without that explicit exception, allowing information to reach the screen-reader was stopped by the self defense system of NVDA.

I'm not saying the same situation exists today, but it can't be assumed that because an antivirus program works with one screen-reader that it will work with others.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Scott Berry
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2020 12:10 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] McAffee Antivirus does not work with NVDA

It does work with JAWS and there is really no reason why it couldn't
work with NVDA.

On 7/16/2020 7:11 AM, Gene wrote:
That's not surprising.  Increasing numbers of antivirus programs don't work with screen-readers.  It may work with JAWS; you might want to try JAWS to see but I'm far from optimistic.

If you are using Windows 10, Windows Defender is highly rated and well thought of.  If Malware Bytes is still accessible, you may want to use that as well.

Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2020 7:58 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] McAffee Antivirus does not work with NVDA

Hello there,

It looks as though the new McAffee antivirus doesn't work with N'Vda.
It simply says:  "Chrome:  Cannot read old Chrome."