Re: nvda or JAWSnot using the default sound card

Jackie

Have you gone into NVDA Preferences > Settings > Speech then click
'synthesizer & press the 'change' button. At this point, you can set a
default card for NVDA.

On 7/16/20, Fresh Start <dan@...> wrote:
Greetings all, I have encountered a never before experienced audio issue.

I bought a Lenovo computer with Windows ten home on it to use only for
audio
editing. The onboard card, realtech, was one of those with only one jack.
It was suppose to be an input and output combo which apparently is common
on
newer computers.

This did not work well when I sent my mixer through it. So I bought a new
Creative sound blaster FX card. I have set this as the system default.
Disabled the realtech card. Set NVDA to use this the Creative sound
blaster
FX card under preferences, settings, speech etc. The CD player and all
windows sounds come through this card. But NVDA or JAWS will not. Not
even
narrator.

A very interesting thing happened when I uninstalled NVDA and reinstalled
see if that is the problem. The usual welcome music that comes on when
NVDA
is installing played. When finished. It would not speak. My sighted
wife
helped me uninstall and reinstall NVDA. I then tried installing JAWS from
my original disc. All went fine since my wife was doing all the clicking.
But again, when finished, no screen reader speech. I Found an article by
Jonathan Mosen from 2018 where it was suggested to use a program called
Silenzio written by Stefan Kiss. It sends sound to the card to prevent it
from sleeping. But I don't think the card is hibernating. The windows
functions make sounds and CD player sends music to the Creative sound
blaster FX card. So do any of you wizards have an idea what to do? This
is
a Windows ten computer with 12 gb of ram, a SSD one terabyte storage drive
and an extra one for storage.