Re: Using the num pad keys to review text

We sorted that little bit out. Thanks for extra information.

On 7/29/2020 5:34 PM, Gene wrote:
Also, switch to object review before you open Word so the object navigator will track the cursor properly.

I should add that I'm using an older version of Word and I don't know if newer versions will work this way with NVDA, but I suspect they will.

Also, adding to Joseph Lee's comment, it is important to understand the following points:
in JAWS, when you use numpad 4 and 6, you are doing exactly the same thing as when you use the left and right arrow keys on the main keyboard.  When you are in the pc cursor, JAWS doesn't do anything to change the function of numpad 4 and 6.  Whether JAWS or no screen-reader is running, 4 and 6 duplicate the left and right arrow keys unless a program takes them over. This is a Windows design.  If the person wants exactly the same response as with JAWS, he should use the main arrow keys on the keyboard.  Also, if you use 4 and 6 in NVDA's object navigation mode, you are moving the object navigator, not the cursor.  The person expects the cursor to move when he uses numpad 4 and 6 in JAWS.  It won't in NVDA.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Gene
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 4:09 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Using the num pad keys to review text

check to see which mode you are in.  You needd to be in object review, not
screen review for the commands you are discussing to work when you are in
Word, according to the very little testing I just did, based on your
question.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Governor staten
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 1:50 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Using the num pad keys to review text

This issue refers to the same friend of mine who has issues with his
Braille display. I say that only as reference. I don't see these issues
as linked.

He has opened a word document. He cannot use the numpad 4 and 6 keys to
review text, like with Jaws. Is this expected functionality or is there
something I've forgotten to tell my friend to help him better? When I
open a word document and attempt to read word for word using numpad 4
and 6, I get the same result he does. I don't see any of the text in the
document, but, the name of the document and menu options.