Re: NVDA in windows terminal on older Win 10 versions

Hmmm I understand that.

I co manage a website, for ages and ages, there have been ahcks and the like.

While I was able to fix a few things, and while something sql only took a week, its taken over a year just to get the system updated to the latest php 7.48, and to be honest I wasn't even expecting that.

And then it was done without warning of any kind.

It had 7.2 installed, and I was hoping at least 7.3 but they put it to the latest which seems to be automatically installing itself which is fine.

Its all cash I guess.

At the university I work with, the main super mainframes still run windows xp.

They can't afford to update these, because it cost millions to install the entire load of them, and the extra equipment for the projects and such and its going to cost millions more to upgrade all the hardware.

They have compromised with vms on win10  but they still complain.

A while ago I made the push at some expence to at least have something that didn't need an old os.

The last push was to get rid of some older software that I didn't need but which had worked but still.

I am always making sure I have the latest because I always get the latest supporting software.

Its really risky, but I prefer to fail, and have to reinstall everything and complain about it then than to field complaints from my users.

I really don't like being in the back seat.

I know its probably a pritty bad position to do but I have to many users forgetting their logins, installing malware by mistake and screwing up commands to have to be bundled with updates as well.

I usually try to have the latest installed or as much as I can before its needed so when it is I don't need to field complaints from busy users.

The only thing that does throw me is when I go to upgrade some hardware or software and that thing either is different or doesn't exist as it did before meaning I need to do upskilling and such at once.

I need to help a user fix a remote network issue and well if my own solutions do not work will have to get them the added hardware which will be different.

By chance I have the same component, so I could probably just give them my hardware and have the excuse to upgrade to something a bit better.

On 5/08/2020 3:50 am, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 11:36 AM, Ralf Kefferpuetz wrote:
from my experience as bigger a company is as less chances we got to influence the IT department in their decission to go to more recent versions.
-
No argument there.  You have to remember (or if I've never shared it, you will now) that I worked for a major defense contractor, E-Systems (long ago sold several times and now part of Raytheon), AT&T (and they don't get bigger than that), as well as two state agencies in Virginia that are subject to the lunacy that is VITA (Virginia Information Technologies Agency - which wasn't really an agency at all, but  a way for Northrup Grumman to line its pockets, that the state paid $38.5 million to in order to terminate the contract for their miserable `service.`).  I recall using Windows XP for several years after Windows 7 was introduced because of just the sort of nonsense you're referring to.

But no sane IT department is going to keep an out of support version of Windows 10 or want to pay for "beyond extended" support for one that has, at least if they've got leadership with any sense.

It's always worth asking about when the next update is planned, as none of this happens without planning, and even when the update comes, it's usually to a Windows 10 version that is at least one, often two, versions behind the latest one.

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

    ~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story