Re: Object Navigation - Where and How Do You Use It?

Sarah k Alawami

Actually when you go to http://mee6.xyz and go to its dashboard you have to move from object to object to access list boxes etc. Not all the time, but most of the time if you want to make sense of the page.

On 6 Aug 2020, at 9:42, Gene wrote:

There are places where it works well and where it doesn't. Also, very different methods workk depending on what you are navigating. On a web page, for example, if you want to move through text, that text is all going to be one object, as far as I can tell. So just numpad 7 or nine, move back or forward by line works to do this. Numpad 8 is read current line.
4 and 6 is move by word. 5 is read current word.
1 and 3 is move by caraacter. 2 is read current carachter.

But what about moving from object to object?
Use numpad insert 4 to move left by object and numpad 6 to move right by object. You may not be able to read much of anything using the object movement keys I gave first in the object you move to but that's how you read what is in the object. . Those keys are for reading what is in that specific object once you have moved to it. Is there an object in that object where you can read more? To find out, use numpad insert 2 while in that object, and if you move into one, use the move in object keys.
Perhaps there is an object above the one you are in where you can see more relevant materiall. To move up, use numpad insert numpad 8. Don't forget that if you have moved down into another object, you need to issue the command twice, once to move up to the object you were in, then again to move to the next higher object.
You can experiment by trying to move from one object to another object, then reading what, if anything is in it.

You will get a feel for this form of movement by moving. You can't really explain it well in terms of application except more or less as I have. Which is why I don't like explanations that do a lot of explaining of structures at first. Some explanation is useful such as moving into an object within an object or moving to an object above the one you are in. The one below the one you are in is more specific, the one above is more general. But aside from such explanations, the real way to learn and get a feel for what you are doing is to move in the interface.

More detailed explanations may be of interest after the person gets a feel for moving.

An example of learning by doing is that when you are in a program, when you move up, you may move from the main window to an obbject before you actually get into the main window.

In Notepad, for example, move up once. You are now in an object that says Notepad window and you can see the menu titles when you use the reading commands I gave initially. You can open a menu by moving to a menu, then moving down to a lower object.

If you have moved into this window, moving up again will take you to the desktop window. If you want to move back down to the Notepad main window, the easiest way is to alt tab out of it then alt tab back. If you are using the default setting that the object navigator follows where you are, it is now back in the main window of the program.

In Notepad, when you are in the main window, if a document is opened, it is all one object. You can read it all using the reading keys I gave at the beginning of this discussion.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, August 06, 2020 11:07 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Object Navigation - Where and How Do You Use It?

Hello All,

This is a navigation method that I really have yet to wrap my head around. My intent with this topic is not to trigger a discussion of the abstract concepts of object navigation, though they're certainly not unwelcome, but to elicit a collection of specific programs/dialogs/etc. where you personally use object navigation to get around in it and how it travels when you do.

I have not had a lot of luck yet when just playing with object navigation at random, and figure I (and perhaps many others) might "get the hang of it" much better if we were trying it out in a context either that we're familiar with but haven't used it, or in a context someone else has described so that our experimentation has more meaning from the outset.

If you feel so inclined, please share.

~ Oscar Wilde