From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, August 6, 2020 3:29 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Object Navigation - Where and How Do You Use It?

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 12:11 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

One context where I use object navigation is Windows 10 Settings (Windows+I) where you must use object navigation to read certain information.

-
Joseph, would you mind offering a little bit more detail?  I can tab out of the search box in Settings then use the arrow keys to move around the grid of the various settings.  I can use right arrow to go from beginning to end and when I hit the end (Update & Security) right arrow stops working and left arrow works backward.  I can also use down/up arrow if there is an item below/above the one I'm on.  If I use object navigation to traverse the list (as it's treated as a list in object navigation) what I'm hearing is exactly what I'm hearing if I'm arrowing around.

I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing, as in what the "certain information" you've made reference to.  In my case, when moving about, I'm getting the title of the specific setting as well as its numeric position in the list.  This is a perfect example of where I think I may be missing something that can be achieved via object navigation.  For each item in the list of settings, after its title is a bit of descriptive text, e.g., for System, the first settings list item, it reads, "Display, sound, notifications, power," in small text afterward.  I virtually never actually read these, as it's the title of the settings I'm about to open that interests me, but it is there.  I'm wondering if that may be what you're talking about.

          ~ Oscar Wilde