Re: Unnecessary verbiage that wastes my time

Quentin Christensen

Hi Gene,

Here is our issue for exactly what you are describing: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/10826

So yes, a way of disabling that is a good idea.  I don't have a timeline just now though.

Quentin.

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 12:34 AM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
I really hate unnecessary verbiage that wastes my time and tells me nothing
of any value.

I've recently been using the beta version of NVDA.  I havedn't gotten the
production version since I've been using it so little.  But one thing that
caught my attention is the announcement of figure and out of figure on web
pages.  What possible value is there to this?  I don't care if something is
a figure in structure, whatever that is, evidently some sort of visual
formatting.  Every time I hear these words, it wastes a little bit of time
and distractingly clutters the text.  and I see no way to turhn this off in
the document formatting options.  I turn off the other nonsense such as bloc
quote announcement.  I turn off almost everything.  If new formatting
information is added, there should be a way to turn it off.

And why are some of these announcements on by default?  People would never
put up with a human reader announcing all this clutter.  How many users of
NVDA ever learn enough to know that they can turn all these announcements
off?

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager