Re: Speech crackling/breaking up in latest NVDA

Sharni-Lee Ward

One instance where this happens reliably is when opening discord and it runs the updater. The last syllable of the word "updater" always crackles, or breaks up. I would get you a recording, but I am unable to get a loopback recording that is faithful to what I am hearing. I tried, and the quality was many times worse than the issue I actually had. I don't know whether this is the fault of the driver or Audacity.

I've also noticed some slurring on consonants when using Windows 1Core voices, if you think that might be relevant.

On 6/08/2020 3:29 pm, Tyler Spivey wrote:
This is a known problem in my circle across synths.
I suspect this is due to speech refactor. Regardless, it would be
helpful if you could get a sentence or something where this occurs,
then report an issue if you can get it to happen reliably. This is the
hard part.
eSpeak is one of the core drivers, so NV Access might consider the issue
as worth looking into if reported against that.

On 8/5/2020 9:49 PM, Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:
So I just finally decided to brave the Python 3 hurdle, and updated from
2019.2.1 to 2020.2. I've updated the addons I could and wanted to keep,
and they're both working fine.

I am, however, having an odd little issue with the synth's speech. I'm
using ESpeak NG, and the latest NVDA. I'm on Windows 10.

My issue is that occasionally, most often at the ends of sentences and
on the word image in the context of that being an object, the speech
will break up slightly, for a brief but noticeable fraction of a second.
It happens irregularly, and I don't know what to do to fix it. I asked
on a Discord server I'm a member of, and someone there told me to switch
audio output from Microsoft Sound Mapper to my speakers/headphones. I
did this, but it hasn't helped.

I've also noticed a slight but noticeable lag when deleting characters,
and in single-letter navigation. In the latter, It takes most of a
second before NVDA announces the item the cursor has moved to after the
letter was pressed.

Any help regarding these issues would be sincerely appreciated.