From: Quentin Christensen
Sent: Thursday, August 06, 2020 8:27 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] A possible bug

Hi Gene,

It looks like those articles aren't marked up as headings. If you go to the Opinion heading, you can then press TAB or K to go to the links for the pieces, but they aren't reported as headings. Looking in the elements list, I can find them in the links but not headings.

Pages like the New York Times are quite complex and it's likely something has been missed somewhere along the line. What did the NYT people have to say?

Quentin.

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 8:24 AM Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm using the latest beta, I haven't switched to the production version.

This appears to be a bug and it may result in information being missed. On
The New York Times home page, using Firefox or Brave, I haven't yet tested
with Chrome, but Brave is Chrome-based, when you get to the opinion part of
the page, the articles in that section aren't seen as headings. All other
articles are seen as headings and using a very old NVDA, the articles in the
opinion section are seen as headings. This is using Windows 7.

I just tested with NVDA 2019.2.21 and the same thing happens so this likely
bug has been around for some time.

I also just tested with Chrome and the same thing occurs. All articles in
the opinion section are skipped and the screen-reader moves directly to the
editor's picks heading. It needs to be determined what is causing this
problem and that may help determine its seriousness.

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Web: www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess