Re: Object Navigation - Where and How Do You Use It?

Gene

Today, I wanted to change the setting in Firefox about how it would work with history. I wanted to use the combo box to have it use custom settings. But every time I would change the setting, even after opening the combo box, a dialog would come up telling me I would have to restart the program for the setting to take effect. I used object navigation, after opening the combo box with alt down arrow, to see the options without triggering the dialog and I selected the one I wanted by working with the object. I don't remember if I used the mouse option or the perform default action option. Screen review was useless. I wouldn't have been able to work with the combo box without object navigation.

From: Patrick Le Baudour
Sent: Sunday, August 09, 2020 5:39 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Object Navigation - Where and How Do You Use It?

Hi,

one use that doesn't seem to be mentioned so far is when using simple
navigation triggers events you don't want, that happens with some web
pages, with other workarounds - The one concrete case i encounter
fequently is visual studio, for instance when navigating through the
category tree in options, some categories may take quite a while to
load., so using object navigation to explore and only select what I need
is much less annoying.

-- patrick