Re: problem with search edit box in folders

Chris Mullins

Hi

Using the folder search box has not been something I have used very much because I can usually find the file I want by quickly typing the first 1, 2 or 3 letters of the file name whilst focused in the list view, and arrowing to the required file if it’s not the one moved to immediately.  When I saw this post, I had a dig around, first in the File, Options menu item available when in File Explorer.  Move to the View tab then arrow through the Advanced Settings treeview and there are a couple of settings related to searching.  Find the   entry entitled “When typing into Listview...”  and expand it.  There are 2 mutually exclusive options “Automatically type into the Search box”  and “ Select the typed item in the view”.  

I set mine to “Select item in the View” to On which means the other option is off.  This allows me to access files as described above but I can also backtab from the listview into the search box type in my search criteria and then use down arrow to access the results.  I hadn’t much success with this in the past but I also checked out the Search category in the main Windows Settings dialog (Windows+I). In the “Searching Windows” sub-category, yu can set what you want to search (I chose Classic), index your folders and also troubleshoot indexing.  After I used the Advanced Search Indexing performance” link, searching using the Search Box in File Explorer became much easier.

Cheers

Chris        

Sent: 11 August 2020 20:57
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] problem with search edit box in folders

I've had to press enter for a while now. Not sure when it started but maybe an update or so ago for me (and I'm still on 1909). But alt-tab? That is strange. You mean there is a separate window coming up? Or are results not showing up until you return to your initial file explorer window..maybe not being recognised by nVDA?

-----Original Message-----

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of seb naudet

Sent: August 11, 2020 6:27 AM

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Subject: [nvda] problem with search edit box in folders

Hello list,

i've recently updated my windows 10 pro (64-bit) Version 2004 (10.0.19041)

and last NVDA available.

when i search for a file in a folder i now have to press enter after typing the name, and alt tab to see the result of my search.

quite complicate compared with previous version of windows.

any idea to simplify access to search results?

thank you

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.