From: Luke Davis
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2020 7:43 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Capslock as modifier

It is not more limited. It is just different.

The first beeps if you type a lower-case letter while holding shift. Since that
only happens if capslock is on, it is an effective indication of capslock.

The second is effective when reviewing text: it doesn't relate to typing, but
to situations wherein you are arrowing around or using review commands.
Similar to, or an alternative to, the change pitch for capital letters option,
it is just a method of alerting you to capital letters that you are reading.
Incidental to speak typed characters, it also happens to beep when you type a
capital letter, but that isn't its primary function.

The first relates to writing, the second to reading. Neither is "more limited"
than the other, they solve different problems.

Luke

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020, Gene wrote:

Does that mean that the more limited one should be removed?

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Quentin Christensen

Gene there are two settings mentioned in the thread, which initially sound similar, but work differently to each other:

In NVDA's keyboard settings there is an option "Beep if typing lowercase letters when caps lock is on". That option beeps when caps lock is on AND you then press SHIFT and type a letter (which will come out lowercase). That option works regardless of your keyboard echo settings.

In NVDA'S speech settings there is an option "Beep for capitals". With that on whenever you arrow to a capital letter or type a capital letter, NVDA will beep, however it only does this when reading the letter, so it only reads while typing if speak typed characters is enabled.