Re: Extra verbosity in Thunderbird

Gene

For awhile, version 78.x was available on the web site but that version wasn't distributed through the updater. I don't know why it was offered on the nonbeta part of the web site but not to the downloader. I even saw something somewhere on the mozilla site saying that that was the case so it wasn't an oversight. I don't know what the updater is offering now.

From: Kostadin Kolev
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 12:12 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Extra verbosity in Thunderbird

Hello Brian,

Actually, the stable version 78 of Thunderbird has been released for a while now. I'm using it and in its "About" box it states that I'm on the "release" channel. I've updated it manually from v68 to v78 though. If I'm not mistaking, the automatic update will offer v78 when v78.2 is released, which happened recently. But I haven't heard from my friends that use Thunderbird that their version has updated to v78. That doesn't mean that it hasn't - it only means that they haven't told me yet if it did or not. Furthermore, when I now went to Thunderbird's website and clicked on the download link, the version offered there was 78.2.1. So, Thunderbird 78 stable has definitely been released to the public.

______
Best wishes,
Kostadin Kolev

На 1.9.2020 г. в 19:41, Brian Vogel написа:
On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 06:40 PM, Governor staten wrote:
I'm running Thunderbird 78.2.0, and have same issues.-
And if this version number is correct, then you're not on the release update channel, which is at 68.12.0, but the beta channel, which can have a raft of issues that the release channel does not, or have fixed issues that the release channel still has.

One can determine what channel they're on using ALT+H,A to bring up the About Thunderbird dialog. Right after the part where your version number is shown, and the status message regarding whether you're at the most recent update or have one pending, is a line that reads, "You are on the release update channel," where release will be "beta" instead if you're using the beta channel.

This issue had definitely been resolved, at one point, and there is a topic on here that I'm sure will contain the keywords "Thunderbird verbosity" besides this one that cover the back and forth or resolve it. I filed issues on this one, and it isn't truly ancient history, at least not yet.

~ Oscar Wilde