Re: nvda doesn't speak first few characters of information

enes sarıbaş

Brian, out of curiousity, what sort of issues would this cause. I really despise the software enhancements  that come with soundcards, and think it is laptop manufacturerers trying to make their cheap audio hardware sound good. It interfeers with naturalness of audio, and alot of sighted users have a desire to disable signal processing as well, for a purerer music listening experience. If I find I cannot disable enhancements on my next machine easily, I will pay for an external DAC that has no signal processing for unenhanced audio, as audiophiles often do.

Additionally, the issue with documentation listing specific effects is that there is  no uniformness of effects in soundcard drivers iether. Realtek for example has bathroom, running water, consert effects etc.

On 9/5/2020 12:03 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 12:48 PM, enes sarıbaş wrote:
But Brian, the problem remains that these enhancements mess up audio output of NVDA, especially compression effects, due to eloquence being a formant synthesizer, probably what happens is it compresses some of the phonemes at the beginning and end of utterances.
-
Then if one is using said synthesizers the synth makers should, as part of their installation documentation, tell you specifically what should be turned off.  Or, better yet, have the capability of probing whether a given something is on and turning it off (or vice versa) that is applicable to its functioning.

What you propose is a solution that would create many, many other potential problems, rather than focusing the solution on the specific situation.  That never makes sense.  It's asking for the law of unintended consequences to come roaring in.

And if you're going to argue with me about this, don't.  Having been a programmer for many, many years I know about this sort of situation all too well and I won't be changing my mind.  I've always said "tool to task" and that applies as far as "specific solution to specific problem" rather than casting an overly broad net that is very likely to catch all kinds of proverbial fish that you'd rather avoid.

          ~ Oscar Wilde