Re: nvda doesn't speak first few characters of information

Hi,

Of course there will be people who will ask us (developers) to keep supporting obsolete software, with the understanding that certain policies are beyond a user’s control. Even then, we have to move on, and at the moment we are playing a complicated balancing game.

To illustrate the game we developers play, consider an upcoming feature in NVDA 2020.3 that will help you test whether or not NVDA will work better in UIA applications. In the past, NVDA would listen to all sorts of UIA events coming from UIA apps. In 2020.3, an experimental option will be introduced to let NVDA listen to events coming from the app you are using. With this turned on, whenever you switch between apps, NVDA will discard events from the old app in one sitting, and then tell Windows it wants to listen to UIA events coming from the new app (there are exceptions where an event will be handled across all apps); previously it didn’t do this. This was made possible thanks to what is called “event group” – a collection of UIA events that can be registered or unregistered in one single move rather than registering/unregistering one event at a time, which improves performance. This was introduced as part of IUIAutomation6 interface, which was included in Windows 10 October 2018 Update (Version 1809). But knowing that many of you are using older Windows releases, this concept was backported through use of a “fake event group” mechanism so you can give us feedback on if this backported concept is working or not. Developers know that this experiment is working on newer Windows 10 releases, but we need more solid evidence that this benefits everyone with the understanding that it may not be an optimal solution for users still using Windows 7 and 8.x.

A more serious example is improving support for Windows Console employed in Command Prompt, PowerShell, and to some extent, Windows Subsystem for Linux. Developers had to ask ourselves whether or not UIA-based console access is going to work, and if yes, which Windows 10 release introduced improved UIA code for console output. After verifying that the UIA-based console access is working, we had to hunt for a version of Windows 10 that did support an optimized version of what we are looking for. We initially thought that October 2018 Update was a suitable candidate, but learned that Version 1809 wasn’t quite adequate due to issues. NVDA people ended up talking to Microsoft engineers working on Windows Console, and as a result, future Windows 10 feature updates will come with improved UIA implementation for console access. This change cannot be backported to older Windows releases due to fundamental changes involved when it comes to console handling, and as a result, console handling via UIA is restricted to newer Windows 10 releases.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of enes saribas
Sent: Saturday, September 5, 2020 10:05 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda doesn't speak first few characters of information

Hello Joseph,

This would also bring up the  obligation of developers to support obsolete software, such as win 7/8, and soon to be 8.1

On 9/5/2020 11:55 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

On one hand, a dedicated API to turn off enhancements may solve this issue (which to me is a symptom). But I would imagine people using older Windows releases or driver versions would ask NVDA developers to “backport” this for older releases (it’ll take a long thread to describe the process involved). There are other factors such as which enhancements are really on, synthesizer preferences, driver versions and such as it can become a sea of related (and possibly unrelated) discourse.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Saturday, September 5, 2020 9:43 AM

I really think it would be benefitial though. Audio effects probably were not designed to be used or to  enhance screen reader use. Also, there only a handful of companies producing the intigrated audio chips, and discrete cards.

On 9/5/2020 11:40 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

This will require a close collaboration with sound card manufacturers and driver providers so an API set can be created to control this behavior.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Saturday, September 5, 2020 9:30 AM

Hello Joseph,

What I think would be extremely useful, is if microsoft added a screen reader flag or something that automatically would disable all enhancements for audio cards. Often I have read on many laptops that the control panels for disabling these aren't usually accessible. NVDA then could have an option to disable them when the screen reader is enabled.

On 9/5/2020 11:28 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

Specifically, this and some related fixes are going through testing phase at the moment.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Saturday, September 5, 2020 9:25 AM

This is due to enhancements, and computer putting audio card to sleep. Stable NVDA will enclude a fix for this, but until then there are programs etc to download to stop this behavior.

On 8/30/2020 2:26 PM, UMIT ERDEM Yigitoglu wrote:

I use usbheadphone  not bluethoot but When you mentioned it, I relized that the problem disappears when I disconnect my headphone. I donwloaded the addon and it seems to work. 
thank you very much.  

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.