Re: OCR

I really am not certain what it is specifically that anyone is looking for as far as OCR goes, as there has been little discussion of specific features of the software or hardware, and am unclear as to whether camera OCR is (no pun intended) part of the picture.

I can say, though, that I've been using OCR for years, and with "dirt basic packages" and the degree to which it has improved over the last several decades cannot be overstated.  I'll say at the outset that while I've used HP flatbed scanners in the distant past, for all my OCR stuff it's been Canon devices, and all of those multi-functions, not dedicated scanners.  Even the one I paid less than $30 for about 15 years ago, and that's now long gone, did an absolutely excellent job with OCR, and for all sorts of documents, many of which were not of the best original quality.

I've also used PDF-XChange Viewer to apply OCR to all kinds of PDF files that were originally image scanned, and it's been spectacular in its accuracy.

Depending on how much OCR-ing you need to do, and whether you have documents that you'd have to spend all day on if you were hand placing on the scanner, it can make sense to get a multi-function with a page feeder.

But all in all, if the software that you need to use to kick off OCR is accessible, even the most basic machines these days will blow the minds of anyone who remembers what OCR from the most expensive scanners was like 20 to 30 years ago.

          ~ Oscar Wilde